In 1928, Fritz Zaubek build a private house next to the cable car on the south side of
In 1936, his wife Martha Zaubek began with the gradual extension of the house to an
Alpine Inn with 12 beds. As a trained chef, she put a lot of effort in gastronomy.
During the 2nd World War the house was occupied by the British, which gave the
opportunity to Martha to feed relatives in captivity.
1949 followed the first brick annex,I n 1954 the second, in 1971 the last part of the
wooden house was demolished and built a new annex with 24 rooms, dining room
and bar.1968 Franz built one of the first hotel swimming pools in the country, and upgraded
Holiday House to the Sonnenhotel. In 1987 the hotel was renovated and expanded.
Today, hotel is well known for its excellent and friendly service, gastronomy, various
day programs for the guests and also as a dog friendly hotel.
AND THE FACTS
• hotel at 1,500 meters above the sea level on the Gerlitzen in Carinthia
• The Gerlitzen Alpe has average 2,010 hours of sunshine during the year which is
far more than in most other places in western and central Europe. It is no
coincidence a solar observatory is located at the mountain
• 28 rooms – all south-facing with balcony and panoramic views
• Restaurant “Joie de Vivre” with panoramic terrace
• Hotel lounge with panoramic views and read & cozy corners on the windows
overlooking the valley with the feeling as if you were on the „Top of the World“
• Wellness: indoor pool (28 ° C), Panoramic Sauna, Herbal Steam Grotto and
• Dog friendly hotel